brent saner on 27 May 2016 12:06:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up recovery partitions to a USB device, making bootable

Greg-

many, if not all, laptop vendors are required to perform service on a machine with a wiped drive. you might have to throw the service agreement at them, but they kind of have to- you shouldn't be required to expose any personal data to the vendor, so they're okay with wiped drives (ergo no OS). unless you plan on actually switching to windows after installing linux, you have no reason for keeping the recovery etc. on hand.

however, check out mondorescue as it may let you do what you want.

also, why are we talking about systemd on a thread asking how to back up a rescue partition on a laptop? criminy.

I think this is the problem, the USB stick isn't set up for an EFI boot.

Time goes on and things get more complicated and work less well.  I'm not only forced to buy Windows if I want a laptop, but have no convenient way to back it up such that I can actually use it if I need it.  And I believe that I'll need a working Windows install if I have a hardware failure within a year and I want to try to get warranty support.

Thinking about it last night, I decided to substitute money for pouring more effort into this and bought myself a replacement SSD.  I will remove the one that's in there, put the new one in, and install my OS onto a clean drive.  If any hardware fails within the next year, I'll swap them back before calling Dell.  When the warranty's up in a year, I can sell the SSD, or experiment with it as a way to speed up a desktop (move the OS to the SSD).

Thanks for the ideas, everyone, I just can't waste more time on trying to make a backup image (of the OS I paid for).