Philip Rushik on 8 Jul 2016 18:13:01 -0700

[PLUG] Filesystem recommendations for very small flash partitions.

Hey everybody,

I'm working on a little project. I'm trying to jam an RPi into my car. I got a DC-DC converter to get the voltage right, and an audio cable connected to the back of my stereo. Its got a touch screen and I'm writing software for it that will just start omxplayer when I select some musicks to play. However, the problem is that this little Pi is going to get powered on every time I start the car and off every time I turn it off, which happens unexpectedly (from the Pi's perspective).
So. my plan is to have its root fs get mounted as read only, except when I decide to add new musicks. However, what I want to do is have it remember what music was playing last.
So I made a little (100mb) partition at the end of the SD card, that will contain a file contain some simple data about what music is currently playing, and what the current playlist looks like. but I'm wondering what file system would be good for something like that, or do I even want a filesystem (maybe I can just read and write to /dev/mmcblk0p3). I'm looking for something that is good for very small file systems, can get mounted and unmounted quickly and often, and rewritten often. I want to prioritize speed and reducing IO over data integrity, since if it gets corrupted I will just reformat that partition.

Anybody have any ideas?