K.S. Bhaskar on 14 Jul 2016 06:26:23 -0700

[PLUG] Making a UEFI partition bootable after an upgrade

I have a PC with UEFI that is unbootable after an Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 upgrade.

First, I should explain how I set up PCs. I have two root partitions, let me call them A & B. When A is booted, it mounts B as /spare, and when B is booted, it mounts A as /spare.The goal is to enable safe upgrades as follows, assuming that the system is running with A booted:

This has been my standard configuration and technique for perhaps 10 years, perhaps longer, and this belt-and-suspenders technique has always worked… until yesterday when I tried it on a machine with A booting via UEFI rather than legacy boot (someone else did the original install; I have always installed with legacy boot).

After starting with Ubuntu 14.04 on A, I cloned to B, booted B and upgraded it to 16.04. The upgrade appeared to be successful, but when booting it now takes me to the minimal shell and I am not sure what to do next. If I try a legacy boot, it says there is no bootable partition.

Where did I go wrong, and more importantly, how do I fix it? I am able to UEFI boot it with live CD images on USB drives - both Kubuntu 16.04 and System Rescue boot, and would presumably be one path to fixing it (the minimal shell would be the other).

Thank you very much, in advance.

Regards
-- Bhaskar