John Kreno on 24 Jul 2016 15:02:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] M.2

piece of tape over the module or on the part of the chassis where the module will contact.

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Joe Rosato <rosatoj@gmail.com> wrote:

Someone on imgur said use a popsicle stick but that has no grounding ability. Tried looking online to see if someone offered a weird metal clip or something with a hole for the screw. The 22 wire thing sounds too raw for a new board. ;-)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016, 3:50 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:11:10 -0400
Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com> wrote:

> On July 24, 2016 12:43:04 PM EDT, Joe Rosato <rosatoj@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Too short for screw to hold it down. On bottom of board so will be
> >held down by box case. Tell me why this is a bad idea. Or an OK idea.
> >
> >M.2 https://imgur.com/gallery/gfFJj
> >--
> >Joe

> My thoughts:
>
> Bad idea as the screw probably adds an additional grounding point.
>
> Also might be bad because even if the case holds it in, it might not
> do as good of a job holding it in as the screw would. Uninsulated
> parts of the module could therfore possibly contact an uninsulated
> surface of the case and cause the module to release its' calibrated
> volume of magic smoke.

Both the preceding are excellent points. So how about having a screw,
nut and insulating washer for the hole in the board, loop a #22 partly
stripped wire around the board hole's screw and nut and tighten
tightly. Then wrap the copper on the other end of the #22 wire around
the partially inserted post screw, put lots of tension on it, and screw
it tightly?

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist
Joe

John Kreno

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

 Thomas Jefferson