JP Vossen on 13 Aug 2016 16:56:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Where's the NIC?

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

TL;DR: Looks like a missing non-free NIC driver.

Details:
It would have been useful for me to note that my helper had to leave, and no one is in front of the server in NJ now (Mom is actually here in PA).

But I do have the same hardware here and started to install Jessie and what do you know, I got a message about a non-free NIC driver:
	"The missing firmware files are bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

Which is https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-bnx2 --> firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb. I was not able to get the installer to find that file no matter what I did, but since it was a LiveCD installer, I just installed it with `dpkg -i` and it was then happy.

So I *hope* that I can send Mom home with a USB key and walk her through installing the package that way and reboot. I'll let everyone know.