Rich Freeman on 4 Sep 2016 04:58:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Z-Wave now public domain

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Will <staticphantom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering when this would happen. As IoT companies are in this rapid
> race to the the bottom, the only way for technologies to survive is to be
> open. I know that from the IoT space Z-wave however dominant was going to be
> over thrown as other open projects began to take traction. I think they got
> their big money out of their licenses now anyway and to remain relevant this
> open strategy would not only increase dominance but also absolves the
> company of liability due to issue with security in protocol.

Hopefully this improves the variety of devices that support Z-wave,
though the flip side of this is that compatibility might suffer.  As I
understand it one of the advantages that Z-wave tends to have is that
devices "just work."

I ended up going the Insteon route instead, in part because the
devices are even more likely to just work as everything acts as a full
peer.  With Z-wave my understanding is that not all devices support
all types of messages, so you can end up with stuff not propagating
the way you want it to.

But, I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall on both technologies as I've
discovered that most of my light switches lack neutral lines.  So, I'm
tending to fall back on Hue bulbs and wireless switches (I just tape
the switches onto a magnetic switch cover designed to child-proof
switches).

--
Rich