Keith C. Perry on 27 Sep 2016 19:21:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EPIC

Could be but then that would be incorrect and an indication of not understanding HIPAA.  The regs must and are written to be technology agnostic.  Much of the security rules are about procedures and "common sense" things- or at least things that could be taken for granted.  Certainly, some software might make compliance easier but that doesn't mean that pretty much any EMR/HIS solution can not be made HIPAA compliant if you know what you are doing.  Its also a bad idea to trust your security to someone else without active oversight.

I'm sure sales rep push the idea of their software being HIPAA compliant all the time though.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Li" <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:17:17 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] EPIC

On 27/09/16 18:04, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> What Doug Stewart said.  I know very few people that "like" EPIC.  Its
> tolerated because it has a long history in this area.  I try to push
> smaller offices to consider GNU Health or other solutions but so far no
> one has been pressed to move.  Feels like a lock-in syndrome and "the
> devil you know".

Or maybe they're worried about being not HIPAA-compliant in even the
slightest of ways, because you land and drown in shit creek when that
happens.

This reminds me why barely(?) anyone knows of any open source tax software…

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)