Rich Freeman on 6 Nov 2016 11:23:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Mythbuntu Linux Has Been Discontinued

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/11/05/2220238/mythbuntu-linux-has-been-discontinued
>
> https://sites.google.com/a/mythbuntu.org/website/home/news/mythbuntusolongandthanksforallthefish
> Mythbuntu: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

I suspect this may reflect the declining popularity of MythTV itself,
at least as something you run in your living room from a dedicated
front-end.

I had some hardware failure and found that getting MythTV running on
newer hardware was difficult (sure, it is trivial on a PC with a video
card, but it is hard to find something that can run it while consuming
<30W of power and for low cost, since MythTV doesn't support most of
the newer ARM SoCs and such as far as I'm aware).  Ultimately I ended
up switching to Plex and cutting the cord, since that was something I
was considering doing anyway.  If you aren't using a traditional cable
service or OTA broadcasts, you don't have much of a need for a DVR at
all.

Ultimately I suspect it will go the way of Cable TV.  Of course, cable
isn't quite dead yet.

--
Rich