Philip Rushik on 25 Nov 2016 15:08:02 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Making android tablets do what I want
- From: Philip Rushik <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [PLUG] Making android tablets do what I want
- Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 23:07:36 +0000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=gacWmrTf4OOkhEmzbZ2lOb9aNPcaeVcVuAB4NTDVIxI=; b=sef3akI3/EsEIEFVRr0Ym5jgcrVuscHRz7SEuYzM2B7J0HYoZxJei+E1umSGvNMJmm x7XVyPD7H7h1LW1672aJQ5PMk3ukhp7xWIPkO4ICnXaYfarokTBnz5WZczmgVERimtvs LwoyC/XETFKqH+vzbqFZD+38htmSkVFmSMKpWZBR/CZqOVDY8bDvYgaHyPJoZBTzq03E XT+RVUhayhge9IKmD2pXmD91Si280mubfWF3P9PbyiY0i7BN3td6pvF5Ti46RPTuualX vK0auBKAO+tyZCwGwes/ieQ4U3QF8rxEAoDNOQS3GAtxPvhJBjm5TPp0MSU8ztCP5Xjr OOGA==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
Made a Black Friday Thursday purchase this year, oops. Got a 72$ SmarTab Android 2 in 1 tablet. The thing runs on an Intel x86_64 processor, so I figured it should be no problem to get it running real Linux since the x86 booting situation is much better than arm and arm64, and MS actually requires x86 devices to have an open boot process now, but this is an android only device. I'm very confused by it so far, because although its a x86 device, the boot process seems very much like any arm based android device. Holding down the volume buttons on boot gets me to an android recovery mode, and it seems to have fastboot mode also, and I haven't figured out any more of the boot process, or even if its bios based or uefi based.
My plan is to get it rooted first of all, and then get busybox installed (it already has busybox, but its a very limited configuration) and see if I can figure out if its uefi or bios, and then from there replace the bootloader with something that I know (grub). But anybody have any better ideas? anybody have experience making these things do real work instead of android?
I also can't get adb to recognize it while in recovery mode (for adb sideload), though it works fine while powered on fully, just no root access.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug