Eric H. Johnson on 26 Nov 2016 17:03:20 -0800

[PLUG] Repairing an LVM volume

Hi all,

I have an Ubuntu 16.04 machine that has a problem with the file system and will not boot to Linux, but shells out into initramfs. It is an encrypted LVM volume. If I boot from a thumb drive, I can mount the volume and all files seem to be present. I can also run fsck –n /dev/mapper/Ubuntu—vg-root, which will show the problems with the drive. However to fix the problems requires that the drive be unmounted. How do I run fsck against an unmounted encrypted LVM volume? I tried fsck –r /dev/sda5, but that just comes back telling me where fsck is located.

Thanks,

Eric