Christopher Barry on 17 Dec 2016 08:08:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wanted: volunteers with bandwidth, storage, coding skills to help save climate data

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:32:33 -0500
Rich Kulawiec <rsk@gsp.org> wrote:

>If you have an interest in preserving a lot of scientific research
>data:
>
>	Scientists are frantically copying U.S. climate data, fearing
>	it might vanish under Trump
>	https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/12/13/scientists-are-frantically-copying-u-s-climate-data-fearing-it-might-vanish-under-trump/
>
>I've set up a mailing list to coordinate IT efforts to help out.
>Signup via climatedata-request@firemountain.net or, if you prefer
>Mailman's web interface,
>http://www.firemountain.net/mailman/listinfo/climatedata should work.
>
>---rsk

While I greatly respect you Rich, this whole thing seems a bit like
'the sky is falling' to me.

Does anyone /really/ think Trump would seize or delete their data?
That's seriously paranoid and weird. Why can't they just throw it up on
github or somewhere like that?

--
Regards,
Christopher