Jason Plum on 8 Jan 2017 06:08:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] X10 Home Automation Recommendation

Casey,

Rich is right, OpenHAB is becoming a strong force with home automation interchange, including the X11 protocols. I have personally used the `mochad` (mocha-d) in the past for direct commands to the CM19A I have, but it is not a complete stack for doing the work of scheduling, etc.

I recommended OpenHAB to him when he asked last, because of the massive number of interchanges available in conjunction with the programming capabilities. I do dislike it being in Java, but the upside is that it runs on just about anything.

Jason Plum
WarheadsSE

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 10:17 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> I know this has come up before, but can anyone make a recommendation for an
> X10 control program that uses the X10 CM19A interface?

It sounds like OpenHAB can handle it.  I've been running it for a few
months now and am contemplating doing a talk on it at some point.
However, I'm not using it with X10.  I do have it running with Insteon
which is X10-compatible to a degree, and with Philips/Milight, as well
as interfaces with Ecobee and Plex (though the latter stopped working
and I haven't troubleshooted it), and of course IFTTT (which in turn
brings in a whole ecosystem of integrations).

I forget who pointed me in its direction but it seems to be the
current direction people doing stuff like this are going in on Linux,
a bit like MisterHouse but on steroids.  It has its pros and cons.
The big pro is that it seems to be compatible with just about
everything, which means you can have X10 events triggering hitting
play on Plex or turning down your thermostat or dimming some Hue
lights.  That also means you can buy all those newer home automation
products where nothing works with anything else.  The major downside
is that it is almost entirely procedural, so you'll be doing a lot of
scripting.

--
Rich