Ronald P Guilmet on 20 Feb 2017 06:15:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

I was looking at Chromebooks for their price. You need to have an internet connection for them right. I was confused as to wether or not I could write scripts, edit docs, etc with no internet. That's how my iPad behaves, I have to be connected to a wifi to do anything. Is that how Chromebooks are?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017, 8:40 AM Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Thomas Delrue <delrue.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> (*) chromebooks are not an option

With the exception of video editing (which I'd probably only do from a
laptop if I were desperate, such as having a job as a travelling video
editor), I'm not sure why you're excluding chromebooks, since they do
everything else on your list for WAY less money and fuss, and they're
more secure than how almost anybody actually uses a desktop-oriented
linux distro.

But, I'm curious to see what comes up.  Anytime I'm tempted to buy a
traditional laptop I end up looking at what they cost to be able to do
the sorts of things I couldn't do on a chromebook and decide they're
not worth it.  I can't remember the last time I spent $1k on a
computer, and that investment goes a lot further on a desktop (where
at least I can replace the MB+CPU+RAM without having to replace
everything else).

--
Rich