K.S. Bhaskar on 1 Mar 2017 09:42:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

I don't see the point of paying money (a) for something I won't use, and worse (b) which will go towards attacking free / open source software. The days of calling Linux a cancer or a communist plot may be gone, but today's attacks are more insidious. So, no M$tax from my pocket...

Sent from my phone

On Feb 28, 2017 11:49 PM, "Rich Mingin (PLUG)" <plug@frags.us> wrote:
That's a fine idea if you don't want to spend as much. If you are morally averse to any money being paid to MS, though, it is no help.

On Feb 28, 2017 21:08, "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
The other thing you can do is purchase an overstock or coming-off-lease model.  The depreciation won't be the full retail price but it will be close to or more than the Dell No-OS or Linux prices.  Micrometer tends to have a good selection every so often.

Unfortunately hardware manufacturers still think they need to bow to MS' demands.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.

From: "Rich Mingin (PLUG)" <plug@frags.us>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:16:41 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

Of course it does. Every retail laptop will come bundled with Windows, unless you special order from Dell or order from System76/Penguin Computing/et al.
I was putting together a special order last year for a mobile workstation and the HP 'concierge' flatly denied me the option of ordering without an OS. Even after I explained that I wanted to put Linux on it, he first told me that Linux support was not offered, and then *ended the call* after accusing me of looking to pirate MS Windows.

Dell is alone in offering NoOS/Linux options on their computers, at least last I checked. If ordering a laptop without paying for Windows matters to you, it's Dell or a smaller OEM.