Lee H. Marzke on 27 Mar 2017 08:56:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backups vs Copies: was Avoid Arvixe at all costs!

And to be complete,  you essentially get much the same results with  ZFS snapshots
and replication.

The ZFS snapshots show up on the share as a time-stamped  .zfs/xxx directory at
the top level.   This is a full tree, but not using storage space above the delta.
This is all tracked by recording birth times in each block in the merkel tree, and
zfs snapshots just keep old trees around in addition to the current tree / subtree.

You need a script such as zrep on top of ZFS to manage the create/destroy of
these periodic snaps, or that feature is built into the GUI of FreeNAS, Nexenta etc.

The ZFS send replication does the same on the far end.  Some scripts allow you to
keep more or fewer snaps on the destination than the source.

Lee