JP Vossen on 6 Apr 2017 09:12:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Canonical dropping Unity

On 04/06/2017 12:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 10:34 AM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
Yes, I've been using Cinnamon and loving it (I'm an ex Plasma/Lubuntu user).
FWIW, I find the Lubuntu Netbook to be a very usable interface on machines
with small screens.

Out of curiosity, what is it that people prefer about Cinnamon or
Gnome compared to Plasma?  Or is it just that so few distros seem to
go the KDE way?  I've never really liked Gnome all that much, but I'll
admit I've been primarily using KDE for quite a long time.

I have to admit I haven't used KDE in many years, but when it tried it it was: OMG my eyes are bleeding, make it stop! There is too much going on and too many things to configure (I know, the opposite of my whining about Gnome3).

Cinnamon is just there, and it works and it's subtly feature-full but it stays out of my way. I should note that the Mint18 LXDE is *almost* as nice but requires *significantly* fewer resources.

That 10y/o Mini9 I talked about really struggled to run Unity, but it runs Mint18 LXDE *really* well.

Mint & Cinnamon are also basically a drop-in replacement for Windows (esp. XP), and while some may consider that a bug, it's been a great feature for some of my family users I've switched.

Later,
JP