Keith C. Perry on 22 May 2017 08:14:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Run VirtualBox on a VPS?

Not sure I understand...

For a Linux hosted situation, you would the Linux version of VB or the native KVM (with the QEMU user space tool) for virtual machines.

I routinely run my VM's with either VB or KVM.  You can either convert to the native formats for each or use VMware's .vmdk format for both.  I wouldn't recommend that in a production context but it good to for testing to make sure you have things right.

I haven't tried it but the kernel can do nested virtual machines...

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/virtual/kvm/nested-vmx.txt

I suspect this is not something most hosters enable but it does exist so maybe it is a matter of asking.

I'm not sure why you would do this when you can run VB natively or QEMU (with a VB container for testing but then you can convert it).  There really isn't much of a learning curve, especially if you are launching from the command line.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167