Matt Murphy on 12 Jun 2017 05:54:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Password manager OneLogin hacked

Well, I'm glad, following review of said discussion, that I went with Keepass.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk@gsp.org> wrote:
Recall the discussion about LastPass six months ago?

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 07:53:05AM -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 09:46:21PM -0500, Tim Allen wrote:
> > I've been using LastPass for a while, and am dreading the day when they
> > inevitably get hacked and I have to change all my passwords.
>
> You *should* dread that day, especially if it's already history.

And -- quite predictably -- we now have this:

        Password manager OneLogin hacked, exposing sensitive customer data
        http://www.zdnet.com/article/onelogin-hit-by-data-breached-exposing-sensitive-customer-data/

Of course we only know about the hacks that operators care to report,
which is a subset of the set they know about, which is a subset of the set
their employees know about, which is a subset of the set that has happened,
which is a subset of the set that has and will happen.

It's only a matter of time.  And each of those will raise interesting
questions like this one (from the article cited above):

        "Am I the only 1 to find it disturbing OneLogin had a decryption
        method for customer data accessible enough to be grabbed via
        breach?" said one user on Twitter.

Using any of these is clearly unprofessional, irresponsible, and negligent.

---rsk