JP Vossen on 1 Jul 2017 10:34:02 -0700

[PLUG] Guest Wi-Fi

Following up on the "Router Recommendations" email, any thoughts on how to do "guest" Wi-Fi at home?

Right now I have an ancient WRT54GL (really) on a separate physical FW segment, with rules to allow this and that to the physical LAN segment. I also have a really, really long, random passphrase, which can be a PITA.

What I'd like to do is get a modern Wi-Fi router (don't care about Ethernet ports), or maybe two, and have one for internal, really *trusted* devices with LAN access, and the other for everything else (e.g., Roku, phones, guests, etc.) that goes straight to the internet with little or no LAN access.

One idea is to move the WRT54GL to a guest segment and just get a new device for the Wi-Fi (with LAN rules) segment. But that means that guest Wi-Fi is really old, which is not a show-stopper, but... And I can see the 2 units interfering with each other, maybe?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
JP