Lee H. Marzke on 3 Jul 2017 08:29:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Configuring routing tables to use Wifi over LAN for Internet access

Bhaskar,

Have you tried setting the ONLY default route  as Wifi on each lattop,  and adding a static route for your internal servers ?
This seems the proper way to do it.

Lee

From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2017 11:03:49 AM
Subject: [PLUG] Configuring routing tables to use Wifi over LAN for Internet        access
I am in the process of starting a small software development business (yottadb.com) and we are currently squatting in the offices of another company (which is about to change; I will send another e-mail shortly asking for advice on firewalls).

For now, we have a small Ethernet LAN to connect our servers, but not access the Internet, and we use the guest wifi of our host to access the Internet. I'm having a heck of a time getting Linux (Ubuntu / Arch) to prefer the wifi over the Ethernet for the default route. I can delete the default route via Ethernet, and I can change the metrics so that the wifi is preferred, but in both cases, after a few minutes it reverts to preferring the Ethernet. I realize we can put crontab entries to run every few minutes, but I was wondering if there is a better solution. As we won't be squatting for much longer (I hope), I don't want to invest a lot of time in a solution - it's just that the crontab approach seems crude. I did spend time searching on Google and DuckDuckGo, but my search-engine skills have so far not found me the right answer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net     http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office        +1 484-348-2230                       fax
+1 252 627-9531  sms  ( 252 MARZKE1 )