Rich Freeman on 8 Jul 2017 12:52:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Multimedia blues

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Floyd Johnson <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
> Have you any idea why even under Ubuntu Mate 16.04, FLV-compatible video
> playing under Chrome or Firefox can occasionally cause the whole OS to
> freeze, with the last part of a second of audio repeating, forcing the user
> to do a hard reboot ?
>
> It's one of those one-in-a-million things, and my wild guess is that the
> symptom resembles an out-of-RAM condition so bad (there's 4GB in the lappy
> at issue)  that it can't even thrash.

Do you know if you get any kernel logs out of this (network logging is
a good way to capture this if the console locks up)?  It sounds like a
kernel bug to me - unless something is running as root and directly
accessing hardware only the kernel should be able to lock things up
like this.  I think most distros are using kernel mode switching by
now and no longer running X as root.

If you can reproduce the behavior and get logs/etc then I suspect that
the subsystem maintainer would accept it as a bug (or you might get to
watch Linus ream them out).  That is assuming it happens in the
vanilla kernel without any root shenanigans.

--
Rich