Greg Helledy on 10 Jul 2017 13:12:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Booting, UEFI, BIOS

On 07/10/2017 03:00 PM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
Much of the "evil" reputation comes from secure boot rather than UEFI
generally. In particular, fears of vendors not allowing you to specify
your own keys or turn secure boot off.

The BIOS/boot utility itself can be updated/replaced, at least that was always the case in the past. If one day in the future general-purpose x86 PCs started being sold with secure boot locked "on", it would still be possible to get around that by flashing the BIOS/boot utility with a hacked version, correct?

I'm not a programmer but it seems to me that, unless the boot utility itself is somehow encrypted or otherwise obfuscated, taking a working copy of the boot utility software provided by the motherboard manufacturer and finding the part that deals with secure boot and deleting it, shouldn't be terribly complex as far as hacking tasks go. Am I wrong?

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated