Rich Kulawiec on 1 Aug 2017 05:50:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] SSH Hardening : Request for Best Practices

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 09:39:55PM -0400, Robert wrote:
> On 07/26/2017 06:33 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:05:16PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> > I'd rather go back with the approach I outlined elsewhere in this
> > thread, I which prevents most of the Internet from attacking your
> > ssh instance successfully *even if they compromise both factors of your
> > 2FA* because they can't connect.
>
> Have you looked at port knocking then?  If they cannot find it they
> cannot break into it.

Yes, I'm well aware of port knocking.  However, it's not even close to
as thorough a solution as the one I described, because it still allows
attackers to attempt to connect.  So rather than allow random hosts
which will *never* initiate a valid connection to try their luck, it's
much better to just drop their packets on their floor.  Note that this
means that even if they figure out the port-knocking sequence, it won't
do them any good until they also figure out what hosts they can use it
from AND gain access to one or more of those hosts.

---rsk