Douglas Muth on 13 Sep 2017 16:58:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Can't Programmers.. Program?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM, ronpguilmet <ronpguilmet@gmail.com> wrote:
This is not New, but it is new to me. Apparently this is a programming interview question to weed out applicants. It's called FizzBuzz.

Write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to 100. But for multiples of three print "Fizz" instead of the number and for the multiples of five print "Buzz". For numbers which are multiples of both three and five print "FizzBuzz".

https://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

You'd be surprised.  A few jobs ago I was at a startup and got to interview people applying for mid-senior level engineer positions.  We'd ask this question and a substantial number of candidates couldn't explain how to solve it, let alone whiteboard out some pseudocode do it.

I had one guy try to explain how he'd used some construct in the Zend framework to solve it. (he was unable to do)

I can understand needing to consult Google or the docs to check for a function name or params if you're a bit of out practice, but basic problem solving is a core part of the job.

-- Doug

 --
Douglas T. Muth * Philadelphia, PA, USA
http://www.dmuth.org/