Rich Freeman on 28 Sep 2017 12:13:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Reclaiming inodes

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> OK, I believe you. So let me rephrase:

Sorry if that came across as confrontational.

> If you have an SSD, frequently run fstrim on all your SSD partitions to
> reclaim deleted space. Doing so has many benefits.

Completely agree.  I just might note that on some drives (I think that
includes the popular Evo series) the kernel makes fstrim a no-op, due
to vendor bugs.

fstrim has a lot of benefits (which I'm sure google can lead anybody
to).  It just doesn't have anything to do with reclaiming inodes.  As
far as I'm aware inodes go away as soon as you unlink anything in all
non-snapshotting filesystems, and when the last snapshot is deleted
otherwise.

--
Rich