prushik on 6 Oct 2017 07:16:51 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] automatic emulation of other architectures?
- From: prushik <email@example.com>
- To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [PLUG] automatic emulation of other architectures?
- Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 10:15:55 -0400 (EDT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:subject:to:message-id:mime-version; bh=CE/fqkJ7R7Y3KO3ZGzmt3Wb1NRpjSCRMFPOHctTQVq8=; b=M62klqjpwHBXte3aQKNTP4wDW5Nnd169stWFBwlF0OVbqn53OwNs9PHihPa5aBvJnD 1/7qKxxv3CQk7Nbr/+RPeTkgyNI2GwAJshNuwkupuz8Q9TYgJaVN4OHcu9cFhsZpUFRx mNWoOOmnE5W6Fj4t6/+i2ORlDh6IWG7NtIgy/4rUTcseiiR6WJZgbD4nsRh/NWSgXI4J 7vNXz1XdmyjR19yVTBe0FL8jEPIjkfu1Gy5OdT4RxFCTBLylpOZSnmJgpLbfg45G4nST Fx6L5AyMj/OTi987FGiWL4yhdONy4g7i3IRrAwtKg89ee3GtHxPZPsmWma3Be3aV/uEQ XXWg==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
I noticed something odd this morning. I had a C project I was working on a while ago that I wanted to pick up again. So I moved the code I had up to github and checked it out on my pinebook so that I could work on it on the go. I accidentally. included 2 compiled executables in the repo, and instead of recompiling on my pinebook, i thought i would first with test the precompiled executables.
However, pinebook is aarch64 and executables were compiled for x86_64. So i installed qemu to emulate the arch needed and tested the first executable and it worked fine.
Then, I tested the second and it also worked fine. However, the second time i forgot to invoke qemu! It looked a lot like qemu somehow still got invoked either by bash or by the kernel, but I have never heard of such a mechanism in linux before. I understand how the shebang works, but how would the os know how to invoke an emulator for another architecture?
Sent from my Tizen device.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug