Keith C. Perry on 11 Oct 2017 10:09:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] backing up RAID volumes under LVM--any sort of tool for this?

You can copy the /etc/lvm path which takes before and after captures of LVM changes so that you can restore a configuration is need be.  You can review the man page for "vgcfgretore" and the documentation here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/mdatarecover.html

However between Linux systems the LVM configuration (metadata) is automatically detected and used (and usually then place into /etc/lvm).

Is the source system LVM only or LVM + MD RAID?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:15:07 PM
Subject: [PLUG] backing up RAID volumes under LVM--any sort of tool for this?

When I was installing our servers with ClearOS (CentOS derivative),
using LVM instead of the traditional partitioning method was presented
at the default.  That and using software RAID 1 (mdadm) has made things
very difficult to understand now that I want to make images of them.

Is there any sort of tool that works well for duplicating LVM
partitions?  GParted, for example, doesn't handle them.

In a slightly-related issue, I had the thought of backing the files out
of these file systems and loading them into non-LVM, non-RAID partitions
using rsync.
I have been using a rescue CD and the command:
rsync -avxHAX --numeric-ids --info=progress2 * /newroot
at the root level of the mounted source partition.

Is this liable to produce a working result?

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated