Keith C. Perry on 7 Nov 2017 14:06:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] small business server virtualization?

Greg,

I generally virtualize as many services as possible for clients as long as it makes sense.  Windows runs just fine on KVM and my oldest deployment is a Windows 2000 application server (though I think I have it running on Virtualbox on Linux right now).  The forward hardware refresh cycle is greatly reduced financially.  That is always welcome as long as services have the same or better performance.  KVM works just fine but whatever poison you pick, your users are really the ones who will let you know how well things are working.

Virtualizing **every** individual service might a lot of work for little overall gain but you also don't have to deploy everything at once.  You can get there slowly.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, November 6, 2017 1:08:24 PM
Subject: [PLUG] small business server virtualization?

Does the overhead of virtualization make sense for small organizations?
We have various applications running on two physical servers and run
into the situation where two or more applications need Apache so
configuration of one potentially interferes with configuration of
another.  And likewise, upgrades or maintenance of one application
require the server to be taken offline for a while, cutting off access
to others.
Can it make sense to virtualize so that each application has its own OS
instance, which can be powered on and off, upgraded, etc. independently,
for a small business?

It looks like VMWare's vSphere Essentials would run us $500 or so a
year, is it worth it to pay that?  What's the best alternative as a
bare-metal hypervisor, Xen?  KVM is a no-go because we have to be able
to do Windows servers, too.
--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated