Charlie Li on 7 Dec 2017 08:37:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My domain's .htaccess file is giving me fits

On 07/12/2017 11:23, george@georgesbasement.com wrote:
> Apache tells me that HostnameLookup is set to |on| by default in
> Apache 2.4, which doesn't make sense, because it slows down the
> server response. It also doesn't make sense because it hides the
> IP addresses of the Bad Guys. Maybe I can fix it with the following
> .htaccess directive for Apache 2.4:

HostnameLookups is Off by default.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#hostnamelookups
> <Limit HEAD>
> Require all denied
> Require ip [redactedpersonal_IP_address]
> </Limit>

You could put a whole bunch of Require not ip 198.51.100.0/24
directives, replacing the IP/range with the actual ones to block.

IPdeny has lists of IP blocks by country that you can use in your
configuration directives: http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/
> or should I use this syntax, used by earlier versions of Apache ?

Don't use that older syntax; it's deprecated unless you load the module
that sounds like auth_compat, and even that's practically deprecated.

--
Charlie "it must be slow season in Tuscon" Li

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)