Michael Lazin on 6 Jan 2018 08:29:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Intel SA-00086 critical BIOS update

I ran this on my 3 intel home computers and found that one was vulnerable, one was not, and one could not be detected.  The vulnerable machine is an older laptop and there is no patch available from the manufacturer at this time.  I did find this article on disabling the the vulnerable engine:

https://hothardware.com/news/researchers-figured-out-how-to-turn-off-intel-management-engine-11-thanks-to-nsa

I cloned the code from github, but I am loathe to run unverified python code as root that might damage hardware.  Does anyone else have a better suggestion on securing an old laptop which runs Ubuntu and does not have a patch?  Thanks.