Keith C. Perry on 10 Jan 2018 12:21:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] old equipment

Funny thing is I wasn't even thinking about this in terms of an anti Meltdown or Spectre move.

I guess I could fire up my Timex/Sinclair 2000 :D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:14:20 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] old equipment

> Hate to double-reply, but somebody beat out Keith and has a Linux
> solution that IS immune to both Spectre and Meltdown:
>
> http://yeokhengmeng.com/2018/01/make-the-486-great-again/

Wow, OSes have grown that much that it takes 11 minutes just to boot up,
and 5 to shut down today's linux on a 486?  And this was not a regular
486 but an AMD 5X86, faster than any 486 Intel ever sold.  My home
computer was a 486-100 (the fastest Intel model) and I thought of it as
a fast machine, at least until Quake came out.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated