Fred Stluka on 6 Feb 2018 14:59:37 -0800

[PLUG] How have you dealt with Spectre and Meltdown?...

PLUGgers,

A friend of a friend is writing an article about the Spectre and
Meltdown CPU bugs, and wants to collect info from sys admins
about what they're doing to cope with it.  Please reply directly
to Jodie Naze at jodie.a.naze@gmail.com with any info you're
willing to share.  Please CC me also.  Thanks!

Jodie asks:

> I'm planning to write a short article that I've tentatively titled,
> "Coping with Spectre and Meltdown: What Sysadmins are doing."
> Could you help me out by answering a few questions?
>
> * What have you done so far to cope with the two massive CPU
>   vulnerabilities?  (Applied patches, I guess. Did that fix things or
>   are you still having to deal with this?)
>
> * What are your current activities and short term plans?
>
> * What's the long term strategy? (E.g. are you talking about buying
>   new servers?)
>
> * And what have you told management to explain all this?
>
> Ideally I'd attribute you by name, company, title.  But that isn't
> necessary; what matters here is providing readers with relevant
> advice.  So, "Jo, a network admin at a large Midwest insurance firm"
> is fine, as is "Robin, the CIO and chief bottle-washer at a 70-person
> training company in Idaho."
>
> I'm hoping to get input by Wednesday night, and then write it up by
> the end of the week. (Feel free to share this along with my contact
> info.)
>
> Thanks!
> Jodie

Thanks!