Rich Freeman on 7 Mar 2018 09:46:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] POS Malware Found at 160 Applebee’s Restaurant Locations

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> POS Malware Found at 160 Applebee’s Restaurant Locations
> https://www.rmhfranchise.com/dataincident/
>
> The only PA location they know about is here, which is up near Erie, so in
> theory it should not affect PLUG N after meeting dinners:
>         Location: PA - Hermitage - 201 S Hermitage Rd
>         Dates Affected: 2017-12-06 to 2018-01-02

The Applebees we normally frequent (and as far as I'm aware all the
other ones in the general area) are operated by The Rose Group.  We
are potentially safe.  It depends on whether the issue is with
terminals operated by the RMH franchise specifically, or if it hit
everything and this is just RMH disclosing it for their own
restaurants and not speaking to anybody else.

In any case, it is probably safe to assume that bad people know
everything about you, and all your account numbers.  The whole idea of
a shared secret that you share with everybody you do business with and
every employee that handles your transactions is insane.  I'm amazed
things aren't worse than they already are.

Maybe when ESR is done disrupting the UPS industry he can take on the
payment card industry.  At least they seem to be going in the right
direction with chips though honestly I don't know exactly how they
work so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.  I don't get why they don't
put the terminal IN the card.  Just send the transaction to the card
wirelessly, have the card display it on its own built-in display,
accept input via a built-in keypad, and then sign the transaction
which is returned wirelessly and relayed to the bank.  Even with
chip+PIN you're really only able to validate that a card+owner was
present, not that they signed the specific transaction being presented
to the bank.

--
Rich