brent timothy saner on 4 Apr 2018 14:03:49 -0700

[PLUG] understanding Russian threats (was: Re: Massive Breach in Panera Bread)

On 04/04/2018 04:24 PM, george@georgesbasement.com wrote:
> While the security breach revealed in this clearly documented discussion
> is important to inform IT managers about the privacy risks to affected
> individual accounts of blind usage of canned proprietary software, I've
> been following another risk growing out of the Russian interference with
> our 2016 election.
>
> This has been going on since September 2016 and continues to the present
> day. The Russians are working on the logistics of attacking our entire
> installed software base with the aim to control a massive shutdown of the
> Internet by pushing a "Czar" button at the Troll farm ...
>
> They have been developing a technique of activating an arbitrarily large
> number of compromised Russian-language websites worldwide from the Remote
> Access Ports shared by a number (presently about two dozen) of Russian and
> Seychelles-based servers controlled by a handful of actors. They now are
> able to engineer the nearly simultaneous arrival of HEAD / HTTP requests
> made by the numerous compromised Russian-language websites.
>
> Starting December 2017 and since they have apparently been escalating to
> the
> near-simultaneous sending of PORT requests to deliver compromised WordPress
> applications, plugins, etc. to minimally protected WordPress installations
> so as to compromise them or their servers.
>
> They're doing this to my webpage (anonymized on the 'Net) even though there
> is no WordPress software on its server, but I presume that the attempt is
> spread among as many prospective victims as possible without evaluating or
> winnowing the unproductive instances.
>
> To whom should these activities be reported ? I've gotten no feedback of
> any
> kind since I went public with this, and the only "visitors" to the website
> (pinthetaleonthedonkey.com) are RU, UA, CN, TR, IR, KR and various
> WordPress
> attackers, all 403'd or promptly added to the site's .htaccess file. Google
> occasionally visits, but in-depth readers are few and far between.
>
> These efforts will be exceedingly difficult to stop because the compromised
> Russian-language websites are scattered worldwide and the Port 3389 servers
> are all out of our reach. However, if the Powers-That-Be can gain
> admittance
> to the Access Files of the compromised servers that are on friendly ground,
> then the presently hidden activating servers might be traced from the
> timing
> and identity of the specific requests documented in
> pinthetaleonthedonkey.com.
>
> George Langford

do you talk about anything *other* than what you perceive to be a
targeted attempted campaign by Russian actors-in-power aimed at you,
Some Guy Who Runs His Own Server?

because that's literally all you post about. this isn't even relevant to
panera's breach.

you haven't gotten any feedback on this because it's unrealistic.

let's break it down:

first off, your first premise of russians conducting a widescale attack
doesn't suit them. if anything, they prefer targeted, narrow-scope
compromise attempts but it's a lot cheaper and easier to conduct psyops,
which they definitely engage in a lot more than any sort of direct
digital attack. when you conduct an attempted compromise, you never do
it wide-scale because that's how you blow your cover, period. (not to
mention the cost involved in something like that.) they spend their
money where there'd be an actual payoff - .gov's, gov contractors, and
the like. i doubt your nonexistent Wordpress server holds US state
secrets. (sidenote: the US gov sites do not use Wordpress.)

secondly, "They're doing this to my webpage (anonymized on the 'Net)" -
if it's anonymized, how do you know it's russian in origin?

third, "To whom should these activities be reported ?"
certainly not to a LUG, assuming it's actually valid.

"the Port 3389 servers are all out of our reach" - what does this have
to do with Wordpress probes?

"of the specific requests documented in pinthetaleonthedonkey.com" -
stop peddling your website.

lastly, anyone can tell you that wordpress probes have been happening in
large number from a slew of IP ranges for... well, forever. it's a part
of being on the 'net, and it certainly predates any russian involvement
in US 2016 election. it's mostly a bunch of skids with a bot farm trying
to deface wordpress websites because it's easy. state-level operations
are much less noisy.

(inb4 "you're one of them!")