Rich Freeman on 9 Apr 2018 05:43:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] HARD DRIVES

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 19:39:09 -0400
> KP <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> Its a good point the anecdotes are not forward looking.
>
> When Seagate keeps selling you garbage drives, you sort of figure
> that's their way of doing business, and nothing short of a complete
> management shakeup will change that.

The problem is that this is the way ALL the consumer drive vendors
tend to do business, with the possible exception of Hitachi (which is
no longer independent, but is now owned by WD).  All the vendors have
had dud drives in their history.  Seagate had one a few years ago that
was really bad so I'll confess I'm not too happy with them, but I
recently bought a drive from them anyway because I was buying a pair
of drives and wanted to vary the vendor.  If you look at the backblaze
stats other than one model a few years ago their drives don't stand
out in any particular way from any other vendor.  Backblaze still buys
their drives despite having to toss thousands of the bad model.  The
reality is that when there are only a few vendors to choose from you
can't really afford to hold a grudge.

I think Keith's general advice is good - EXPECT that drive to fail and
plan for what you'll do the day it happens.  Maybe that is just
restoring from backups, but if you care about uptime then use a RAID,
assuming your particular application doesn't have its own redundancy
at a higher level (which is obviously better still).

--
Rich