Fred Stluka on 11 Apr 2018 08:03:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] the most serious vuln (today)

On 4/9/18 1:24 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:25 PM, jeff<jeffv@op.net>  wrote:
https://www.securityweek.com/vulnerabilities-found-linux-beep-tool
Hmm, Gentoo does not install beep by default, and when it is installed
it does not set the suid bit by default.  It has also been fixed on
Gentoo anyway.  I have to imagine most distros will be patching this.

Interesting...  I never knew there was an official beep command.
I wrote one myself 30 years ago.  It's a shell script that simply echoes
a Ctrl-G character.  I later added a feature to echo a text string as well
as beeping.

Feel free to use it.  See:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/beep

Note: If you view it in a browser, the Ctrl-G chars are not displayed,
but if you then save it to disk and open it with a text editor, you'll see
them.

Enjoy!
--Fred