Ronald P Guilmet on 16 Apr 2018 10:12:31 -0700

[PLUG] POSSIBLE TALK

I came across something that I thought would be worth mentioning. I don't know much about sub systems and what not. I'm not tring to make a Phd out of.

Most of uw know that Windows 10, at least, has Linux as a sub system. Not by default. You have to perform some steps to get it there. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Windows would do this.

On the ground level let's say we have someone who has no Linux experience, they are on a tight budget, and they can only use their Windows 10 laptop or desktop. How can they benefit from this? Windows can't compete with the FOSS programs we have, for free that is.

What if we put a talk together aimed at this Window audience. I can show them how to use the Linux app that is available through the Windows store to use programs like tar and gzip to back up their important windows folder. From there they can use whatever medium they like to store the data.

I do some C# Net programming, and I was looking for a way to back these  folders up. I found a way through the Linux subsystem.

Maybe we can win over some Linux users?
I figure the more people can bring over the more diverse our think tank becomes.

Any thoughts?

Ron Guilmet

Philly Data Solutions, LLC | DBA Philly AWS

ronald.guilmet@phillydatasolutions.com

http://phillydatasolutions.com