brent timothy saner on 17 May 2018 04:56:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: VMware Releases Security Update

On 05/17/2018 07:17 AM, Ron Mansolino wrote:
> Can someone provide a definition for "Software Defined" networking?
> (as far as I can tell, it's "We have a control panel for provisioning")

i'm not sure how vendors use it ;) but as a concept, it's treating
network configuration (firewall, routing, announcements, etc.) as
objects rather than device-specific policies/implementations.

in other words, it centralizes configuration so that instead of "saying"
that "route 1.2.3.4 needs to be served by gateway 1.1.1.1", you instead
implement something like "network foo needs access to network bar via
object baz in group quux".

for a rough analogy, classic topographical networking is to SD
networking as procedural or functional programming is to OOP.

i still think it's largely abused and i'd say 9 out of 10 deployments
don't really need it, though.