Anthony Martin on 21 May 2018 11:44:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] q. about docker-engine overhead

Docker running on a Linux system is very light for the most part. I haven't had any containers running on the server today and the 30 min load avg is 0.05 (and that's only from my laptop auto-uploading file changes to it). It is also only using half a gig of ram but that's including a bunch of monitoring agents and random nonsense I'm forced to put on the system.

To answer your question about services and running a DB on docker, the reason I have seen is it just makes maintaining and supporting the full application easier. The main thing I currently have running is a Django web app, a Postgres DB, RabbitMQ, and NGINX as the web proxy. With this setup I know anything that I change while working on my laptop is going to run exactly the same on my server.

Anthony Martin

Linux System Administrator