Philip Rushik on 22 May 2018 05:18:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hacking Tizen via microSD silliness

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
If that was going to work, would it work to use an SD card with the
physical read-only switch on it, throw the switch, and use an adapter
like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SD-to-Micro-Adapter/dp/B0143QFXYO

I don't know how those switches work -- whether the card enforces it
or whether it relies on the OS, but it would certainly be easier to
try than the FPGA business.

IIRC, the read only switch on SD cards works on the card reader. So there's no way to make it work on a microSD card unfortunately, unless you have something smart in-between. That adapter would certainly make things easier for me if I decided to go the FPGA in-between route.

Does anybody know if that would even work though? Would Linux see the write and cache add that to its FS cache and never bother to actually check the the actual data on the card? If so, is it possible to clear the cache without being root?