gary on 4 Jun 2018 10:49:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cheap Firewall - Use old Wireless Router?

"Rich Mingin (PLUG)" <plug@frags.us> wrote:
=> You mentioned Verizon. It was my understanding that all DSL customers had
=> been converted to FIOS, and if so, you do not have a cable modem in your
=> house, you have a router. FIOS logically terminates at the ONT on the side
=> of the house, they can run coax or CAT5E into the house from there.
=> Updating to a newer Verizon-supplied router with better throughput and
=> gigabit support may be a phone call away, and low or no cost.

   I wouldn't count on the last bit. I've been on FiOS for a while, and
they wanted to force me to upgrade my router to a newer model for
around $80, refurbished. Since I opted not to do that they now charge
me a "maintenance fee" to keep the old router. If I didn't think
Comcast was even more evil, I would drop them pretty quickly.

                              Gary Duzan