Walt Mankowski on 4 Jun 2018 18:49:45 -0700

[PLUG] Printer font problem in Ubuntu 18.04

I'm having an odd printing problem since upgrading from Ubuntu 17.10
to 18.04. I've got an Ubuntu box that I've been using as a shared
printer. I've also got a MacBook running the latest version of macOS,
which is where most of my print jobs originate. The printer in
question is an HP LaserJet P1006.

If I print from the Ubuntu box while the printer is plugged into it
(it's USB-only), everything looks fine. Similarly, if I plug the
printer into the Mac and print from there, it also looks fine.
However, if the printer's plugged into the Ubuntu box and I print from
the Mac, the fonts are all messed up. If I print, say, the Google home
page, the images look fine, but the text areas render as a bunch of
boxes and random characters.

I also tried printing a PDF that I created with LaTeX. Interestingly,
that printed perfectly! That makes me think that there is some sort of
font mismatch, since LaTeX embeds the fonts in the PDF.

This same setup had been working fine up in 17.04 and 17.10, but
failed the first time I tried to print after switching to 18.04.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers on both ends, but it didn't help.

I've looked at all the CUPS settings but I don't see anything that
might be causing this behavior. Is anyone else having this problem? Or
can anyone suggest how I might go about trying to fix it?

Thanks.

Walt