Ronald Guilmet on 27 Jun 2018 13:31:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LEARNGIN BIND / DNS

Thank you for the links and help guys.

On 6/27/2018 1:59 PM, brent timothy saner wrote:
On 06/27/2018 11:20 AM, Ron Guilmet wrote:
I think bind is what connects a "name" to an address right? If you were
to learn this, do you have any suggestions on where to go? Is there a
tutorial that I could virtual machines to learn this on? I'd like to get
a better understanding or hands-on of bind and even setup up dhcp.

Ron

Ron-

DNS is a vastly complicated topic, but I'd recommend grabbing yourself a
copy of this[0a] and reading chapter 16 in its entirety, as well as the
DNS section in the TCP/IP Guide[0b] (as published by NoStarch). Those
should give you a good overview of DNS as a whole.

There are also plenty of RFCs[1] detailing exactly how DNS works, but
they aren't for the faint of heart.

Once you understand the purpose and mechanics of DNS, at the very least
in a general sense, you should understand what BIND does. If you're
looking for the shortcut, look for references to "authoritative
nameservers" and/or "authoritative nameserver software" (which is what
BIND is).

If you're looking to combine very simple authoritative DNS (or record
replacement) in addition to recursive DNS resolution AND a DHCP server,
I'd recommend looking into DNSMasq[2] as it does all these bundled into
a small footprint package.

[0]
   [a]
https://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Linux-System-Administration-Handbook/dp/0134277554