Fred Stluka on 17 Aug 2018 12:42:33 -0700

[PLUG] Linux tip: Log IP addresses, not hostnames, for use by fail2ban...

Linux admins,

As you may have noticed, there's been a massive upswing in hacking
attempts from China in the past couple weeks.  My servers now get
hit an additional hundreds or thousands of times per day.  You may
want to check your logs and beef up your security.

See my recently posted tip:
- Log IP addresses for fail2ban
  http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#log_ip_addresses_for_fail2ban

It describes a change I had to make to my FTP server to get fail2ban
to properly block attackers who were gaming their own DNS entries.

--Fred