Joe Rosato on 6 Sep 2018 10:17:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: iDRAC

Rich,

Thank you.. it was a wild shot no biggie. I feel bad I could not help the guy, but he sprung this on me quick.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 12:52 PM Rich Mingin (PLUG) <plug@frags.us> wrote:
I don't have the free time to be on-site this week, but I've done the work described many times. Some free notes;

The system firmware will have an option for the idrac to use a shared NIC or the dedicated (Enterprise, Dell calls it) port. I would have both cabled just in case.

Firmware updates can be a pita without a local machine to work from. Dell has some management stuff for remote management of firmware/raid controller/etc, but I've never gotten it 100% functional.

Where is this going to run from? If residential, power and network issues can be a pita. You'll want something you can VPN into the network with, OFF the ESXi host, if possible. Some better routers can cover this.

Setting up ESXi is a breeze, but use the Dell customized iso instead of the vanilla VMware ones whenever possible. Has drivers and support software baked in.

How is remote access happening? Dyndns? Noip? Something else? I'd recommend two independent methods if at all possible. You'll also want a host you can remote access that isn't in the same chassis as the Dell is at all possible.

Shared storage will be a third VM at least. VMware itself doesn't do any kind of networked storage access to the VMs, so they will need a third party that can translate to cifs/NFS or other.

Double check that a raid controller is present. A lot of the integrated options are software raid, which esx emphatically does NOT support. It's a bit late, but in the future, always shop from the VMware HCL whenever possible. It cuts the headaches way down.