Fred Stluka on 6 Sep 2018 11:48:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux tip: Log IP addresses, not hostnames, for use by fail2ban...

Rich,

(a) I don't block all of them from everything

I'm glad to hear you're not blocking all of AWS.  As I said, that
seems extreme and somewhat crude (sledge hammer to swat
a mosquito).  Especially to me, since my servers are hosted at
AWS.

(b) even when I do block them, I log the attempts
for research purposes.  This furnishes me with ongoing data as observed
at a variety of locations.
How do you log them, if you've simply blocked all connection
attempts via the iptables firewall?  Are you using iptables
logging?  If so, do you have any problems with log file size?
Have you had to update logrotate to rotate/compress/delete
more often?  If you keep your logs on a central server, is the
additional logging traffic enough to be an issue?

Why is this even necessary?  Why aren't they pro-actively stopping the
abuse before it's necessary for you (or me, or anyone else) to file
a report?  After all, if we can see it arriving, then they can just
as easily see it leaving.  Why aren't they looking for it and taking
prompt remedial action before any of us have to even lift a finger?

Good points!  I agree with all 7 of your arguments.

Yes, AWS could, and probably should, be doing a lot more.  I
agree that they ought to be able to detect patterns in outgoing
traffic from the virtual servers they host.

Do you know of an IaaS service that does a good job at this?
You've dinged AWS, and now a few others, but who WOULD you
recommend?  Anyone doing it right?  Or at least noticeably
better?

Is there any downside to that for them?  Seems like it could be
a great PR move for them -- to be able to advertise that they'll
detect malicious outgoing traffic from the servers they host, and
inform the owners that they've been hacked.  At worst, they'd
lose business from hackers who set up servers only for use in
doing attacks.

It wouldn't have to be overly intrusive.  Privacy advocates (like
me, and probably you) should have no objection to scans that
detect repetitive login attempts and failures.  Wouldn't require
scanning emails, file transfers, login sessions, or any other
significant content.

BTW, I know that SSH is encrypted, but I assume there's a way to
detect failed logins at least, without having to decrypt anything.
Wouldn't need (or even want) to know the attempted username
or password -- just that a connection attempt failed.  Any
technical obstacle here?

If not, we should all lobby AWS  and the others you cite to do a
better job of this.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!