JP Vossen on 29 Sep 2018 17:43:25 -0700

[PLUG] DNS filtering using pi-hole

Great article: https://www.troyhunt.com/mmm-pi-hole/
See: https://pi-hole.net/

I dropped this into my network this afternoon. I've been using BIND for years so my process was basically:
1. Build the pi-hole VM (easier for me than a Pi)
2. Change my FW egress rule to allow the pi-hole instead of BIND
3. Change /etc/bind/named.conf.options::forwarders to the pi-hole

Note that pi-hole has a very nice web GUI and it *can* be your internal DHCP server (I just kept my existing one).

So far it's blocked about 40% of queries and that's *with* running uBlock-origin everywhere!

There are lots of other ways to do DNS filtering either yourself or outsourced, but I found this one very non-disruptive for my environment. I could probably have fudged it into an existing server, but that's really not how it wants to run, and why fight it?

Really liking it so far,
JP