Rich Freeman on 4 Oct 2018 10:10:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 12:48 PM Ron Guilmet <ronpguilmet@gmail.com> wrote:

> The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including
> Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain,
> according to extensive interviews with government and corporate
> sources.

Sounds very much like a page out of the NSA playbook.

With all the national security concerns I'm surprised the US doesn't
do more to drive manufacture of IT infrastructure in the US.  That
would include CPUs/etc.

Seems like it would be straightforward to require that equipment used
in telecom/power/etc critical operations be 100% US-sourced (down to
the component level).  Sure, many of those components probably aren't
available in the US but if you create demand they'll come around -
they could charge $10k for a certified CPU if required by law and
they'd be bought by the millions.

--
Rich