Tone Montone on 30 Oct 2018 17:10:16 -0700

[PLUG] Agile Methods for SysAdmins?

Does anyone currently use Agile Methodologies as System Admins/Engineers?

I ask because a few months a company I work for introduced it, but I don't think we are doing it well.

We use Jira, we use Scrums, but as Admins, they don't seem to fit into our work life.  I feel we could do better with Kanban, as we can pull from a list of work that is required to support our products.  However, since most people think Scrum when they think of Agile, it's a hard sell.  Especially since I don't have much experience in either.

In Agile, we create stories that we think we could complete in two weeks, but they are either not completed in time, or not held to our commitments, as often fires or other issues arise and the tasks get moved back to backlog or simply closed.

In Kanban, we could build a backlog of tasks that are needed, then prioritize them.  Then move them to "To Do" phase when needed.  People could pull from the ToDo column and move them to "In Progress", and work them until "Done".    The time constraints would be gone, and the Scrum meetings would be gone... not sure what replaces them.

Just wondering if anyone works in an Agile way, what works, what doesn't, and what intelligence they glean from it.  i.e.  Does it work for you?

Thanks,

Mike