Rich Freeman on 8 Nov 2018 12:19:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] new virtualbox exploit

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 2:56 PM <prushik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On November 8, 2018 1:55:50 PM EST, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> >the guy who found it flipped out and released this before submitting to
> >Oracle.
>
> Exactly the way all vulnerabilities should be released. Wish more peeps would do this. #informationfreedom
>
> This is just a vm escape though. the attacker needs root on the guest, and only gets to the host with non-root user permissions. By itself, this probably isn't a very serious vulnerability.

"just a vm escape"  :)

Really, though, if you're using virtualbox for anything serious I'd
give thought to using something else.  KVM or Xen are the big Linux
solutions for actual virtualization using mainline kernel drivers, and
of course you should consider a container.  And of course the big name
in VMs is VMware which you typically wouldn't run on a linux host.

On linux there is also libvirt which is basically a wrapper for the
underlying kernel functionality, and various guis/etc that sit on top
of libvirt.  This lets you use GUIs similar to something like the
Virtualbox GUI, but it also gives you the ability to launch VMs from
the command line, and the configs are all xml I believe.

If all you're doing is playing around with a random development VM
maybe something like Virtualbox is fine, but most of that can also be
done with a libvirt GUI like virt-manager.  And it doesn't require
out-of-kernel modules.

--
Rich